Sunday, July 1, 2018

Why did our soap go brittle


Hi all,My partner and I are new to Soap making and we are really enjoying it, our first loaf was just plain and turned out perfectly.We tried to go a step up and add a lavender scent and put lavender leafs in it and used the oils we had already from the last batch. But unfortunately this time it didn't go so well, it turned out brittle and falls apart to the touch but the soap chunks are very hard.I thought could be left over lye in the soap but Im not seeing any ash burn and it doesn't burn when i wash my hands with it - in fact my hands are very soft right now :P.My other guess is i may have mixed the Lye and the oil at different temperatures, i'm guess 30-40 Degrees difference.Or that the oils used were inappropriate.I Used brambles recipe calculator and this is what i used...OilsAvocado oil - 103mlCoconut oil - 511mlOlive oil - 200mlSunflower oil - 207mlLye + waterLye - 230mlDistilled Water - 724mlScentsLavanda Scent - 50ml2 hands fulls of lavender buds/leavesFood dye for colour - 20ml (after using food dye i read that its not ideal)Would really appreciate any thoughts on our predicament! :)https://ift.tt/2KEliCU via /r/soapmaking https://ift.tt/2MyD47J

No comments:

Post a Comment