Sunday, November 4, 2018

Sauerbraten marinade times: what’s safe?


Hey, y’all. First time poster here, hopefully this isn’t against any unspoken rules I’m unaware of. TL;DR at bottom!So my boyfriend recently tasked me with broadening my culinary horizons somewhat and to start looking at new cuisines. I make a lot of American, Mexican and Asian food, but thought.. well fuck it, he’s right- I should try new things.So I set my sights on learning how to make some German dishes, as it’s freaking delicious and I thought it might have some different flavor profiles than what I’m used to working with, and that’s kind of exciting!But the first recipe I’ve found that I decided on (sauerbraten) has me wondering about what the limits of safe marinade times are. The first recipe I read stated that a minimum marinade time of 4 or 5 days was necessary, and preferably to leave the roast marinating for one to two weeks. If I pulled it out before the week mark, they made it absolutely clear the flavor and the meat would not have developed enough, and we would be missing out.I’ve seen this sentiment echoed a few times over now after some googling, but as someone who’s a little overly careful with safe meat handling.. it concerns me a little.Is the meat even safe to eat at that point? Does the vinegar marinade somehow extend the fridge-life of the meat? Or should I cut down the marinade time to reflect what we now regard as a safe limit for raw meat?TL;DR: I want to make a sauerbraten, but am concerned about safe marinade times. Is it safe to marinade a large roast for a week in the fridge? via /r/Cooking https://ift.tt/2QnLTnm

No comments:

Post a Comment