Monday, April 2, 2018

Recipe Theory Crafting: Noodles


Some time ago I came across a post on Reddit featuring Soba Noodles. These are noodles made with buckwheat.Now I know that Buckwheat is carby but one thing caught my attention."100% buckwheat soba noodle is the most difficult noodle in the world because buckwheat doesn't have gluten"Since there is no gluten, the only thing that could possible hold the noodle together is starch. Its not a very strong bond either so the chef takes great care when manipulating the dough. We can see just how little structure the starch gives to the noodles when he starts rolling it. Those edges are pretty feathery. It heavily reminds me of one super common Keto baking flour - coconut flour!So my question to /r/ketorecipes is this: Do you think that we could create a viable noodle using gluten free, low carb flours with a starch substitute?The two main starch substitutes I can think of are Xanthan Gum and Konjac flour(main ingredient in shirataki noodles).I can't just leave the post there though. There is one other thing I want to address. The chef in the video describes the techniques in detail. I wonder if similar techniques could be applied to our theoretical recipe(s). via /r/ketorecipes https://ift.tt/2uBnDrq

No comments:

Post a Comment