Friday, June 29, 2018

Homemade Ginger Beer Tastes Really Bitter!


Fair warning, I am totally new to this homebrewing stuff—this is my first attempt at making ginger beer. That said, I did not expect it to taste this disgusting!My recipe was pretty simple: About a gallon of water, some lemon juice/zest, 250g of grated ginger, and 750g of sugar, plus some spices. I used champagne yeast.I sterilized my setup with acid based soap and hoped for the best. I kept it in my garage which is usually around 75 degrees Fahrenheit. Unfortunately I forgot to take an initial gravity reading.After about 2 days, I noticed a huge white cloud forming on the bottom of my fermentation vessel. I wasn’t sure what it was but figured it was maybe the yeast.After about seven days I noticed the airlock has slowed to about one bubble every minute and a half. I figured that since the recipe said to wait 7-14 days there was no harm in waiting an extra day before I bottled. I went to sleep, went to work the next day, and then came back to get a gravity reading, expecting to have throw it back in for another few days.The gravity reading was 0.99! I gave it a taste, and it was very bitter, with an aftertaste that I would describe as “like ginger, but only the spicy part”.I bottled for secondary fermentation just to see what happens, but I’m wondering if anybody has any advice/if anyone has a theory on what went wrong? via /r/fermentation https://ift.tt/2KxkGi6

No comments:

Post a Comment