Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Maldon salt in a batch


Hey gang, I don't belong here, I know this, but I do have a question. I'm a chef in a restaurant and I've seen this at a few places I've worked at with great bartenders (top notch nyc restaurant bars) , and would like to know if there is a reason for this. In both places, the bloody Mary mix recipe called for Maldon salt, which gets ground in either a spice grinder or vitaprep and added to the mix. And just tonight the bartender was making a syrup that called for Maldon salt. I asked her about it and she said well that's what the recipe calls for but entertained my suggestion of just using kosher salt.So yeah...I suggested that they use regular salt, but add slowly until the recipe tastes right and just adjust the recipe.Am I missing something? Does the Maldon add something? Can kosher salt not be used? I ask because I suggested the use of kosher salt because a) it's cheaper and b) it would be one less step in not grinding it. But I would be the first to admit I'm wrong if there is a good reason I'm not understanding. Thanks for listening and would appreciate feedback. via /r/Mixology https://ift.tt/2M4QjN7

No comments:

Post a Comment